Oxime from tert-butyl acetoacetate

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

CPC

Oxime from tert-butyl acetoacetate

Post by CPC »

Hallo,
i am doing a synthesis of an oxime from tert-butyl acetoacetate using NaNO2 in acetic acid. (I am sorry for that I do not know the way to upload an image to describe the reaction scheme that may help make it clearly understood, but I hope you can get the topic).

I follow the procedure described in Tetrahedron Asymmetry, 1991, 2, 555. It was reported that from tert-butyl acetoacetate, a white solid product with m.p. of 68 OC was obtained in high yield.
I have obtained an colorless oil. I suppose that it is still a mixture of the product (oxime), tert-butyl acetoacetate and probably acetic acid.
I will try to improve the operation to get the compound in high yield so that i do not have to care much about purification. However, I am thinking a way to separate the oxime from the mixture I have got today-the result of my first experiment concerning the topic. I still do not have a sound idea, how to do it. I do not think that recrystalization may help because it seems that the mixture contains considerable amounts of the starting materials. Column chromatography may help but I could not do TLC to look for a proper solvent system since the compounds may be invisible under UV light.
I appreciate any of your suggestions.
Thank you.
CPCImage
Zedekiah
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Zedekiah »

Is this the reaction you undertook?

The only references to oxime chromatography I could locate pertained to separation of oxime syn and anti stereoisomers.

Unfortunately, I have no ideas to suggest at the moment.

Thanks for posting this, I always enjoy learning new things. Sorry I had nothing to contribute.
CPC

Post by CPC »

Yes, it is the reaction I undertook.
I think your note also helps beucause I should also think about the two isomers.
Thank you anyway.
Regards,
CPC