Beer-Lambert Law

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

chemrox

Beer-Lambert Law

Post by chemrox »

What is the principle of the beer-lambert law?
The equaton is A= e x c x l
where A is absorption, e is molar absorptivity coefficient, c is concentration and l is path length of solution (what about the width of the solution??).

I read somewhere that the great thing about the law is that it allows you to compare substances wtihout having to worry about concentration and length. Concentration and length all affect the absorption. But having e eliminates this because if you rearrange the equation
e = A/ (c x l)
it means that the molar absorpitivty coefficient (whcih is unique for each substance) will take into varibles such as concentration and length which affect absorptivity. Thsi is because absorption is divided by concentration and length, eliminating the variables affecting absorption...is that right?

I'm nto quite sure if this is correct or if it makes sense...it'd be great if someone could clear up what the beer-lambert law is and what's so great about it. Thanks!
Zedekiah
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Zedekiah »

I think I follow...

My take :

Since, if you are using the same curvettes (which you will be), you don't need to know 'e' and 'l' because they are constants.

This means that they essentially don't matter. When taking readings, all you need to do is form the slope of a line and you can accurately predict the concentration of a colored species.

Beer's law is grand :D