REACTION HELP PLEASE!!!

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

milZ1

REACTION HELP PLEASE!!!

Post by milZ1 »

Hi,

Could you help me write up the reaction for tert-Butyl alcohol plus HCl, which gives tert-Butyl chloride.

C4H10O + HCl = C4H9Cl plus H2O i think.. not sure....

Then there's another one, to p-chlorophenol you add NaOH and chloroacetc acid which gives p-chlorophenoxyacetic acid plus something else, maybe its Cl ions.

ClC6H4OH + C2H3ClO2 = C8H7ClO3 plus....

Could someone help complete and balance these equations for me please, it would be really appreciated.

Thank you,

Mili...
sharan
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by sharan »

Hey Umm i dont know about the second one lol but for the first one that is for sure correct, which is

Code: Select all

C4H10O + HCl = C4H9Cl + H2O
and for the second one, isnt it also including NaOH on reactants side..??

Umm If you do include NaOH, it would give you an acetic acid like you suggested and an alchol so overall reaction would be,,

Code: Select all

16 ClC6H4OH + 8 C2H3ClO2 + 11 NaOH = 13 C8H7ClO3 + 11 NaCl + 4 C2H5OH
Hope that helps,
-Sharan
milZ1

Post by milZ1 »

Yep the first one seems correct and the second one I think your right coz we used NaOH, but I didnt think it was needed to be written in the equation, but it makes sense with what you've done. So i'll just keep what you gave, thank you sooo much.

Thank you!

Mili.