elem school project

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

steve

elem school project

Post by steve »

MgSO4 + Cu + H2O
4 T epsom salts in 2 cup container
used 2 ea Cu electrodes
added water to fill to 2 cups
applied 16 VDC across electrodes
please complete equation and balance it if possible
TIA
steve
Zedekiah
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Zedekiah »

Hello steve,

I admit that my weak point is electrochemistry, so all I can do here is take a stab at it.

The experimentation process here is going to be key to identifying products of this reaction.

My guess is that there is going to be substantial corrosion of the anode in the form of cupric oxide formation.

I'd be willing to bet with this much voltage, that magnesium metal is going to be formed at the cathode and oxygen gas at the anode. If you don't notice a silvery metal forming at the cathode and instead you for a gas, you're making hydrogen.

Code: Select all

2(Mg²+  + 2e-    --->    Mg)
2H2O   --->        O2 + 4H+ + 4e-

2Mg²+    +  2H2O       --->     2Mg    +   O2  +  4H+

So basically, you're making sulfuric acid and magnesium.

Try it out and see what you get, that will help you identify the products.
sharan
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by sharan »

hey from wut think you shud be making a copper hydroxide Cu(OH)2 as you have no chances of making CuSO4 and sulfuric acid and Mg metal as:

MgSO4 + Cu + 2 H2O = Cu(OH)2 + H2SO4 + Mg
hope that helps,
-Sharan
steve

Post by steve »

Thanks Zedekiah;
Well...I should have told you more. Both electrodes were Cu sheets about 1.5 inches square. After about 3 hrs after power-up the neg electrode was completely gone and the solution seemed blue-ish. There were 2 types of crystals on the bottom...some blue-ish and some white. During the process there was lots of bubbling from the positive electrode moving towards the neg. electrode. No litmus paper here. We weren't trying to do anything or make anything, just see what happens... I got the idea from my 10-yr old when he came home from school after his science class...intro to chemestry.
Thanks for help ans some furthur ideas...
steve
steve

Post by steve »

Thanks Sharon!
That was exactly what I was looking for...right or wrong (grin).
steve
Zedekiah
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Zedekiah »

I love a good mystery :wink:

If the solution was blue, then copper ions must be in the solution. One half reaction must then include copper being oxidized. Bubbling at the cathode can only mean one thing : hydrogen gas. The actual reaction is going to be more complex than what we're going to come up with, but this conforms with your latest descriptions :

Cu    →    Cu²⁺  + 2e⁻

2H2O → O2 + 4H⁺ + 4e⁻

3( 2H2O + 2e⁻ → H2 + 2OH⁻)
[/size]

Something like :

Cu + 8H2O  →  2OH⁻ +  3H2  + O2  + Cu²⁺
[/size]

We now know that magnesium is probably a spectator. Sulfate is most likely spectating as well (it almost has to; you can't oxidize it and reducing it takes a lot of effort). The blue stuff on the bottom was probably copper hydroxide and the white stuff may have been magnesium hydroxide; they're both insoluble.

Edit : Not much happens with a 9v battery.